Friday, March 12, 2010

Singing Around the Campfire


This morning was absolutely gorgeous, and I was busy right away. I saw 2 at 9:30, had to set traps for a new dog shortly after sighting him, and he was so unconcerned he didn't even go down, but watched me from a burrow mound. What a blob. Around noon, I saw the first gs of the season, and made a bet with the crew about how fast we would catch him...no one even came close; he was in the trap within the hour. I didn't bring my marking supplies, but was not concerned when we released him, as I know that he'll be back in the trap tomorrow.
Back on the prairie dog front, no one was going in traps. 30 was a tease the entire day, and the only consolation prize I could obtain from OK was a head sticking out ever so often. At the end of the day, I was reminded that another species other than gs enjoy entering the traps, those being horned larks. The one I'm holding in the picture, aside from looking peeved, is a gorgeous male, who made absolutely no attempt to peck me as I gently pulled him out the trap (contrary to Amy's belief of them being vicious...I mean, look at the size of those beaks!!!)..
After dinner, we headed over to K. Delynne's place, and quickly decided that attending a bonfire was in order. We hopped in a few cars, and drove over to this absolutely beautiful log house. It belonged to someone who had designed it, and was now building it. Hard to describe, but hand carved stairs, rafters from rough hewn trees, sculptures carved into the walls...amazing. After a tour of the house, we all went outside, and sat around the fire on large stumps. The sky was clear, and every star imaginable was visible, including the milky way itself. K. Delynne had brought her guitar, and she set about teaching us songs that we than sang around the fire. An unforgettable evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment