Saturday, April 4, 2009

Watch where you step


It snowed a ton last night, and we ended up going into the field late. We took the Expedition to avoid getting stuck, and managed to make it in to the refuge without any issue. The only real problem was crossing the cattle guard by feel, as the drifting snow had covered the bars. I had flashes of myself falling, and taking out a shin (or two) on the iron. *Wince* Once ensconced, we sat in our towers the requisite amount of time before going back. During this time, we saw more birds (i.e. Northern Harriers and Prairie Falcons) than dogs, and my feet managed to go numb in the 3.5 hour time span. Upon walking back to the car, I reminded myself to walk only where grass was sticking up through the snow; to avoid sliding into a burrow, which are concealed underneath the smooth windblown surface. I was successful in not stepping in a burrow, but it was funny to realize that while I couldn't see the entrances, I also couldn't see half of the markers.
Upon reaching the trailer, we found that our pipes had frozen, but that's not important to the continuing research for the pd's. Besides, why should it be easy?

No comments:

Post a Comment