Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ultasound Guy



Today, Grant from Denver came in with his ultrasound machine to use on the dogs. John wants to take a look at the developing fetuses, and see if the machine helps to accurately show the number in the mother. If it works in a satisfactory way, then he is going to apply for a grant to obtain one. In order to utilize the machine, however, we need subjects; hence we sat out traps last night before we left. The theory is that when we arrived today, and got in our towers, we didn't need to walk around over the burrows to set them. Some of us have dogs that are spooky, and if they hear movement above, they won't come up for hours.
That was the theory. My dogs don't go for theories. I had 54 traps set out with the hope of catching 5 females. With high hopes that quickly plummeted, I observed my dogs....I immediately caught about 20 ground squirrels, and the ones in 29's area immediately drew his attention. He always wants to kill them, and here was a perfect opportunity presented to him; gs unable to get away! I could almost see his eyes light up as he bounded over, and began to terrorize them. They started screaming immediately, so I looked over to 92's area......where instead of eating yummy oats, she was doing the same thing 29 was. Arg. Looking back to 29, I noticed that he had managed to tip a trap on its side, and was on top of it, reaching as far in as his arm would go, essentially in up to his shoulder. During this chaos, everyone else (who have well behaved dogs), kept calling : 'I've got another one!'...yeah, so did I..another gs with a pd on top trying to kill it through the cage.
In desperation, I looked around, and saw 2 in a trap (whoop eee) braced against one side, yanking on the other. He succeeded in tipping himself over....quite the feat. Yah 2. Deciding to ignore him further, as we was upside down and pedaling all four legs, I resolutely turned around, to see both RR2 and 92 in traps. Yes!!
Soon after, Grant arrived, and as RR2 dropped her litter early this am (she's looking quite deflated) I went first, so we could release her to be with her babies. We weighed her, and the little piglet weighed 1187..which is huge for a female, especially after giving birth. Shortly after weighing RR2 (we didn't need to use the ultrasound on her), we set up for 92, and Grant began on her. I was able to see the beating hearts of her babies, and watch them moving around in her...it was sooo cool! Grant estimated 3 babies for her, so we'll see what comes up in 6 weeks..

No comments:

Post a Comment