Thursday, April 23, 2009

Prairie Dogs are Sneaky

Prairie dogs are sneaky..especially when you're trying to trap them. WJun decided she doesn't want to be caught, and is devising all sorts of methods to avoid that from happening. She was winning from the start, the moment my traps filled up with 14 gs. I watched her cheerfully circumvent the traps, and then with deepening gloom, observed her skipping down the hill towards the long grass beyond my study area. With this new development, John helped me come to the conclusion: if she wouldn't come to us, we would go to her. He dispatched Erica from her tower, and she ran at a triumphant WJun; who quickly panicked, and ran in erratic circles before diving for an unknown hole. I directed Erica towards the area that WJun had desperately disappeared down; she was shocked at how far out the pd the had traveled. We lugged out the necessary traps for the surround, and ended up sinking 55 cones to plug the numerous burrows and random holes.
Trudging up the hill, we started the release of the multiple gs. Among the captured was one we christened 'abscess butt', due to a circular wound oozing pus and blood located on its rear end. After the mass exodus of gs, I settled into my tower, only to not see WJun the rest of the day.
Almost forgot...50 woke up late today, so we think she had her babies. Yea!

No comments:

Post a Comment