Thursday, April 2, 2009

50 is a bully

I'm beginning to think that I won't be seeing the sun until spring comes; even though the calender says that its technically here. Today was a fairly typical day as far as the weather goes; sunny (for a very short period of time), followed by cloudy, than overcast, than omg, that cloud looks scary, to blizzarding, to somewhat nice. This erratic weather pattern does nothing for researchers. It puts some dogs down in the middle of the day, some dogs get up late, some go to bed early, some get back up after going down at 1:30, and then just when it appears like the coast is clear to go, either 36 or 2 decides he needs to get back up to stretch and sit in the snow.
Aside from the interesting weather, there was some noticeable occurrences. The first was an absolutely immense flock of geese flying over my tower on their way to the lake. The refuge we do research at is a wildlife refuge, but most of the wildlife are birds. Which is awesome! Apparently in the summer, 3000-4000 birds flock to Arapaho to mate and raise chicks. We've already seen Canada Geese (getting to be a daily thing), various ducks, and one Sandhill Crane. Losing my story here though; getting back on track, the geese flew over my study area, and every single dog freaked out, running for burrows. Now, I would understand babies running from loud, honking geese, but not adults. They came back up almost as soon as they had gone down, a lot of them looking a little sheepish. Immediately after the geese, an immature Bald Eagle flew low over, and not one moved. I'm lucky I still have a colony to work with..
Shortly after the eagle, a massive Red-tailed Hawk flew past my tower, making me jump in my chair, as I heard the gentle 'swooooosh' of his wings. He landed in the sage to my right, and I watched his individual tail feathers flex and separate as he landed. He stared into my eyes before taking off after a few seconds balanced in the sage.
At this point, it was blizzarding. Most of the dogs had had the good sense to disappear down burrows, with the exception of 50. I watched her through binoculars, as she chased than flattened what I first thought was a ground squirrel, except it didn't move like a ground squirrel. I realized it was a dog just as she chased it down a burrow, than proceeded to keep it down by herding it. I suddenly didn't like 50 very much, as I realized this tiny dog probably had just gotten up, and hadn't eaten yet. I liked her even less as she chased it, biting it and dragging it down when she finally caught it. I disliked her for being a bully, but also because I couldn't see the number on the dog; just that it was marked.
The snow finally started to come down so hard that 50 decided to call it quits. Ten minutes after she disappeared, I watched a bedraggled pd climb out of a burrow to eat by himself in the disgusting weather. He turned out to be a little loser male, 14, which made me smile; he was so small and cute. As I watched him eat out in the nasty wind, I realized he'll be just fine since he was functioning just fine in weather that sent even 2 down..even though 2 did get up later to go for a stroll after everyone had gone to bed..

No comments:

Post a Comment