Thursday, April 30, 2009

Scafing 'em Like Hot Dogs

With both 29 and 50 gone, my day started off despondently. I attempted to cheer myself up by reminding myself that before he disappeared, at least 29 copulated with FBS, so hopefully, I'll have another mama. With that thought still forming, I looked up to see 14 trot cheerfully down 50's nursery burrow, ZW. I'm sure I do not need to go into detail as to what happens to a scarcely 3 day old baby without its' mother, but it appeared 14 desired to speed along the process. I waited for him to come back up; when he did, there was no baby in his paws, but he was chewing...
I have mixed feelings about infanticide. True, although seeing a pd eat another pd is just ewwwwuhhhhhh, it is also interesting in the questions it induces. Often, the yearling males (14, 30) are the culprits, but indeed so are the big studs at times (2, 45). Kinship comes into play when you observe who's eating who. 14, who's 50's son, was appearing to sample his half-sibs, sibs who shared half his genes, where in the wild, that's a pretty big deal.....Or, take 2, who was harassing HBS yesterday (and today if we're getting technical); if he was partaking in the kids, he was eating his own offspring. Weird.
Back to the simple act of eating another. John wanted to know if 14 was 'eating 'em like hot dogs', and I replied I had not seen that, but was somewhat looking forward to it...go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment