Friday, March 20, 2009

RR2's bad day

Today started off slow, but didn't end that way, which is always fun. The day started out with a dog on the hill behind me, which we call Buddha's area; it wasn't Buddha, and it also wasn't in a trap, or even a surround. I was dispatched from my tower, snuck through the sage, and ran up to the traps to scare the elusive dog into a burrow. After managing to get it safely into a burrow without killing myself by falling in a hole, I went back to my tower. I took a minute to get situated....and saw a dog outside of my tower, cheerfully scampering around the outside of my surround. I climbed down, set another surround, and climbed back in...only to be called back down, as Buddha had come up, only not in a surround. With Buddha's appearance, we realized we had no more cones close in, so I had to carry another ten over to the area, and as previously noted, traffic cones are deceptively heavy, not to mention awkwardly shaped.
Once safely (finally) back in my tower, I was able to focus my attention on my study area, and for once, things were jumping. RR2 was back up, quickly followed by 50 (another female); soon after the deuce came to visit, and was very happy to find two girls. He immediately set about to get acquainted and make friends. He would sidle up to one, tail wagging, and try to give her a seductive sniff; at which she would either run away, or whip around and bite him. He was so love struck that he continued to advance, all the time wagging his tail (a sign that a female will come into estrous soon), and consistently getting shot down. He finally decided he was done, and trotted to the edge, and then out of the study area, and back home. The girls stood at alert, watching him go, and then...RR2 attacked 50. They got into a pd ball (think of a ball shape, and then think of two pd's wrapped around each other making up that sphere). They weren't able to work out their differences though, and 50 soon went to bed. With no one else vent on, RR2 started to feed, until she came face to face with a ground squirrel. She stared at the squirrel, shuffling side to side (the squirrel meanwhile at first ignored her, and then started shooting her nervous looks over its shoulder), until finally she couldn't deal with it being in her way, and she jumped it. I thought the squirrel would jump away, but I was wrong. The day ended with a pd/gs ball, to which I couldn't stop laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment