Wednesday, March 25, 2009

fight and make up

Let me just start out by saying that I was verrrrry happy that I had my sleeping bag today in my tower, as it snowed. We're not talking a little snowstorm here either. We're talking snow that blotted out the mountains, the pond, and the other towers. I cuddled into my bag, and watched the snow accumulate on me; up to three inches. My pens were freezing even as I wrote, and the snow was blowing across the pages. Wheeee.

On to the dogs. As it turns out, 50 didn't go yesterday, so all the boys thought she was lookin' pretty good today. Not quite the circus of yesterday, due in part to the weather, but almost as bad. The highlight for me was a chase between 2 and 29; they are so funny when they're mad, which is all the time for the two of them. Before talking about their latest episode, I want to add something John told me a few days ago: When pds are fighting/chasing/playing with each other, they tend to not really pay attention to the details (hence falling in holes), which aside from the usual, include burrow markers. I now have two things to look for: pd's that are airborne for some reason, either playing or chasing, getting ricocheted off a burrow marker tag, as the anchors are bendy, and stronger than a dog hitting the tag...and dogs plowing into the base of a burrow marker. Which, although I'm sure I'll feel bad for the injured/dazed, it should be pretty funny to watch.
Moving on to the boys; 2 and 29 both wanted 50, so they were having issues most of the morning. These issues included several chases, one that had two very intense fights. It went like this: 2's seducing 50 when 29, who's been watching and waiting for his break, edges too close. 2 shoots after him, chasing him halfway across the study sight before he catches up and they get into a pd ball, which then breaks out into another chase, which leads into another ball, which bounces into a bush. The bush doesn't have much give, as its winter, so the ball breaks, the boys pick themselves up, only to realize 45 has moved in. 2 sprints back, sends 45 packing, and chases 29 again. 50 meanwhile is looking for other available bachelors for some alone time while 2 is busy. 2 comes trotting back completely full of himself, interrupts a dreamy 50, who is staring in 45's direction, and tries to mount her, which leads to a fight (as in pd ball) between the two of them.....and 30 seconds later they go down a burrow together to make up, as I would assume...
The storm hits, everyone clears out to go hunker down in burrows, and 2 comes back up out of the burrow, oblivious to the howling wind and snow. He starts singing (the mating call sounds like chirping), and is obviously so pleased that he doesn't notice 50 join him...he continues to sing, she nudges him to follow her back down, and even then he's so into himself he doesn't notice...until she starts to leave..he pulls himself together, and follows her back down.

No comments:

Post a Comment