Sunday, March 29, 2009

Boy am I glad I weeded...

I am sooo glad that I weeded yesterday; 92, who I haven't seen since she got up a week or so ago, went today. All the boys agreed that she was lookin' good, and decided that she was worth fighting over. 15 was the first to realize she was hot, and immediately booted lowly 30 out. He then had sleek and sexy 92 to himself until 2 caught wind that she was available. He first tried the direct route, and got lucky. 15 was off beating up on 30, so 2 was able to sneak over to burrow ZQ. Up until this point, I wasn't sure that 92 had gone; 15 hadn't actually been with her, and 30 didn't have a chance. Knowing this possibility, I carefully watched 2 approach the burrow, and he gave himself away. He wagged his tail enthusiastically when he went down, a sure sign that he found a female, and liked what he discovered.
2 was only down for a few minutes when 15 came bustling back, and immediately caught wind of what was up. He shot down ZQ, and kicked 2 out. At this point, I knew for certain that a female was down ZQ, I just wasn't sure which one. RR2 and 50 had already gone of course, and they're in the front of my tower anyhow. That left me with the possibility of 92, RR6, and an unmarked dog that I'd taken to calling X6un (after the burrow she originally came out of). With this dilemma in mind, I carefully watched not only burrow ZQ, but all the others connected to it. My answer was forthcoming while 15 and 2 were fighting, 15 having caught 2 again as he tried to sneak in. 92 stuck her sleek head out of ZQ, and it was at that moment that I knew it was her. That mystery solved, I turned my attention back to the boys.
2 had just been booted, but he was learning, albeit slowly. Instead of the direct route, he darted into the sage, coming in behind 15 and his girl, thus surprising them. This tactic worked, but it also led to a colossal fight. 15 chased 2 out of the burrow area, and towards my tower, where, at the height of suspense, they disappeared into the sage....and....2 emerged triumphant ten minutes later, to have 92 for the rest of the day and into the evening.
Don't feel bad for little 30 though. As John so aptly put it, he "got his first score" while the big boys were off fighting in the bushes. Yeah for the little guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment