Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Found at last!

Today started out much the same as previous days; with me hoping that I would see something aside from ground squirrels and hawks, as cool as they both are. At 2:20 in the afternoon, I got my wish. Toward the back of my colony, there is burrow marker ZR, where I've seen several ground squirrels emerge from. So, when I first saw the beginning of an emergence, I wasn't too excited, until I realized how slow and careful the emergent was. He acted like he was timid, not sure of the light or himself in the surroundings. By the time he had his cheeks out, I knew, even from a distance, that it was a prairie dog. Ground squirrels tend to pop up, and pop down. Details don't seem to be a factor for them. As a prime example, I watched two get into a knock down brawl, and when they happened to roll into a rather deep hole, they never paused in their biting and scratching. As I could see down the hole, I watched as they continued to try to rip each other into shreds, albeit noisily.
Back to the dog. By the time he was fully emerged 20 minutes later, I knew he had just woken from hibernation, as he seemed dazed and disoriented, not really even moving as a coyote trotted past 50 yards away, scattering the gs. I watched while he roused himself, and finally began to feed. I was excited at the prospect of putting up a surround, catching and marking him. While I began to plan this, I noticed another head come up on the other side of the burrow mound...it was 30! I thought the badger from late last week had gotten him. I was super excited to see he was alive...although the unmarked dog did not appear to share in my enthusiasm.
The two eyed each other over the burrow mound, each with his hindquarters down a different burrow. Tentatively, they both moved forward, and kissed (which males do to greet each other, either amicably or right before a fight). The kiss quickly disintegrated into a brawl, which ended unceremoniously with unmarked chasing 30 back down his burrow, and me placing a surround over the hole, hoping that they wouldn't come up fighting. They didn't show up the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment