Sunday, May 3, 2009

Flight of the Goshawk



Today began with me watching a Goshawk swoop down over my tower and grab something in the tall grass...I of course nervously watched until I couldn't stand it, and asked John for permission to jump out and see what it had (51 was missing at that moment). I ran at the huge bird, hoping it wouldn't fly off with its prey, and although it did the first time, it settled quickly back, making it easy for me to run at it again. I reached the mangled carcass...and..for a minute couldn't tell what it had been, as it appeared to be in roughly three distinct pieces, held together only by skin and dirt. I re-arranged it in the mud, and after some shuffling, was able to construct a rabbit...minus part of a front leg, and most of the butt. I then left it so the raptor could finish his meal in peace...
I also was able to borrow Erica's camera today, and played with it at the days end while waiting for everyone else to finish...

No comments:

Post a Comment